As an independent organization, EuroRAP is a standard international methodology for determining the lack of safety or ‘forgivingness’ of roads objectively, scientifically and transparently. This method is now being used successfully in more than 102 countries across the world. It is managed by iRAP and governed by an independent Global Policy Advisory Committee and Global Technical Committee.
To achieve a Europe free of high-risk roads, the roads must be made saferupgraded. Success can be measured using our protocols—Risk Mapping, Fatality Estimates, Performance Tracking and Star Ratings—and road fatality and serious injury data lives are being saved. Through deployment projects, we can understand the total road safety situation, where there are gaps and what support is needed.
- EuroRAP is the ‘gatekeeper’ of RAP protocols in Europe ensuring quality and consistency in applying the RAP protocols nationally and advocating for safer roads.
- EuroRAP software, systems and specifications are freely available to everyone. EuroRAP provides general advice and support on the use of these. EuroRAP also provides advice on procurement and identification of suppliers, and on strategies for subsequent analyses of survey data, including maintenance-related information.
- EuroRAP provides general support and advice on undertaking road assessments at TEN-T network, primary and urban levels—particularly with respect to the implementation of the Directive 2008/96/EC on road infrastructure safety management (to reduce both fatalities and serious injuries by improving the safety performance of road infrastructure and taking into account vulnerable road users).
Research and Innovation
The global RAP has been created over two decades through donations and financing from charitable foundations, NGOs, governments, development institutions, treaty organisations, companies, research centres and individuals worldwide—involving more than one hundred organisations.
This support has been both monetary and in-kind. and has help global RAP become the international standard of road infrastructure safety, including RAP application software and models to be free to use and informed by up to date research.
- Working within the iRAP Innovation Framework, EuroRAP is partnering with industry, universities and leading research institutes to ensure RAP products continue to meet the increasing need for evidence-based tools to inform and shape road safety investment.
- EuroRAP is involved in European Commission co-funded projects in order to develop and deploy new RAP innovation tools.